Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Chicken Man by Gray Morrow




 Okay, this post title is not entirely my fault.  In the early seventies, I fell in love with the radio superhero Chickenman("he's everywhere!  he's everywhere!").  Then this amazeballs cover comes along, and if you imagine the sorceress in the che stylish spider hat is a normal size woman, then this

warrior could be the size of an action figure ("they're not dolls, they're action figures!"), and he could be rid'n a chicken.  The verbal alliteration on the cover ( Chilling...Choker...) draws me to the word , also


Five days later-meamwayne named the actual bird, and it instantly made me flash to Kirby's version in X-men #10

8 comments:

  1. "Chickenman"! Wow, I hadn't thought of that show in decades. I remember it as a must listen AM radio event. Reminded me of Bullwinkle and Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Rocky and Bullwinkle appeal to kids from 1 to 92, and so does Chickenman. Let's all get kazonked

      Delete
  2. i remember Chickenman...it feels weird to belong to a generation that still listened to the radio. look up Dale Kupers' character "Chicken Fat" in the underground Quagmire Comics for some awesome chicken visuals. And Gray Morrow was almost too good for comics. I used to wonder what what was inside his Dark Domain book that was often advertised in Monster Times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunnot get me started on the radio, bro! (okay, get me started-I love the radio) I first heard Marvin Gaye on the radio, and as my bro Denny always said, "anyone who listens to Marvin Gaye can't be ALL bad"

      Delete
    2. Okay, it looks like Dark Domain is/was/will be destined to be the next great rabbit hole...hold on tight...

      Delete
  3. Well, the real name of one of those things the guy is riding is a Phorusrhacid, so, yeah, we can just call him Chicken Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, thanks, and now that you bring up "terror birds," it made me think if the premiere of Ka-Zar in X-men

      Delete