Sunday, January 7, 2024

Riddle Me This by Dan Adkins







 So, a while back, Russ reminded me of the big fanzine topic in the early 70s, does Dan Adkins copy his stuff? (I'm purposely avoid'n the word "always" here, cause I never, ever like to use absolutes.)  It came up for me again when Russ told me the great Dynamo portrait is a swipe from a Doc Savage paperback, and again later when he answered my query about the big space head on the back of a fanzine-Paul Newman, of course.  Anyhoo, here I am again, baffled by the amazeballs Hulk by Dan Adkins--is it really from somewhere else?  I think I finally solved one on my own, by the by.  I think Conan is a swipe of a body builder in a comic book ad.  And my fav DA is up here again, Starhawk, and a coupla years later Dan swiped from hisself!  If you think the Marvelmania Starhawk is a swipe, though, please holla

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a Kirby inspired robot on the Marvelmania cover. Starhawk's anatomy looks inspired by John Buscema during his SubMariner run to me - though the pose is definitely not Buscema. Too awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insights, and again, soon as someone mentions it, I always go, "ah-hah....acourse"

      Delete