Saturday, February 18, 2023

The Incredible Ads In RBCC #68






















 Full page ads for the fanzine I'll Be Damned #1, and what a great fanzine it was!  Coupla notes about this:  Corben's Den Movie poster wasnae a part of IBD, it just goes well with the Corben Den that was, and you must embiggen the Wrightson original, and the dragon's nest wasnae in IBD, but the red version was on the back of that selfsame RBCC (search "red Kline" on here to see more).  Weird thing about that is, inside IBD #1 was an ad for original art, including that Kline piece ($35)!  Finally the ad for Fantastic Fanzine was in IBD (and a lotta other places).  There's a ton more stuff in this massive fanzine, I just slapped up my favs

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to explain that adzines were these beautiful treasure chests and that fanzine ads were a big part of the excitement of the old offset zines. I inherited a couple of issues of the Dallascon Bulletin from the early 70's and I had no interest in the actual bid to locate a SF con in a place I never visited, but all of the ads and spot art were incredible because of the times. I'll Be Damned is one I missed, though it has a favorite Ken Smith on the cover of #2, and the third issue, retitled Scream Door is mostly work from the unreleased Web of Horror issue, right? RBCC was often a beautiful production, but those ads certainly gave them a lot to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a co-inky dink! I went to high school with Chuck, the guy who went onto fame as the biggest comic retailer ever, and he once gifted me some Dallascon Bulletins (they apparently didnae fit into his retail'n plans), and I agree, they were a great joy. I dunnae think I've ever said this to you, and beg pardon, but I must disagree about Scream Door (great title, by the by). Although SD did print an unused Web cover by Wrightson, I think the fanzine your think'n of is Reality. They published some unused Web stories, and even left in the WOH host, Webster. I'll Be Damned publishers pulled a giant prank on us by number'n their third issue #4

      Delete
  2. Ah, so. Thanks for the clarification, Cap. I don't think I've ever seen either zine, but I remember reading, in the Star*Reach Companion ( I think) that Reality and Infinity were started, separately, by two teenage friends with their Bar Mitzvah money. When I was a teen I had to mow lawns just to afford to buy comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinat'n history (made me flash on Bill Gates and a buddy start'n out in his garage), but yeah, I was an Army brat, so no mow'n going on, but pops gave me a buck a week allowance, so good thing comics were 12 cents

      Delete