Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Tong Ball Gaggle Mystery by Vaughn Bode





 First is how I first saw a tong ball gaggle, in the pages of Junkwaffel #4, then how it first appeared, in the pages of the fanzine Gosh Wow! #2.  I never understood the square box at the bottom, but now I do, and, in the words of Jimmy Fallon, it was "a box of lies!"  Gosh Wow! #3 has no tong ball story, no tong ball portfolio, no Vaughn Bode atall.  Maybe because it was almost a year later, maybe because (as the back cover shows) it introduced a long story about Moondog by George Metzger.  Whatever the reason'n, I want my MTV (er...I want my Bode tong ball story and second portfolio)!  If anything is out there, please holla

2 comments:

  1. Gosh Wow #2 was all of it. In the letters column of # 3, Bode wrote that he could not continue it because of the pro work he was committed to. "I badly overcommitted myself to fan publishers who I much preferred to work for because of the freedom and appreciation of the owners. But when I started Cavalier magazine, the 4 pages a month began to tell on me, and it forced me to curb my desires to work exclusively in fandom." (from the Vaughn Bode Index)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Another classic example of me not pay'n attention. Gosh Wow #3 is onea the few fanzines I've held onto over the years, but I never read the letters page (no pretty pictures). Guess this fantasy goes into the "what if" box also (sigh)

      Delete