Monday, July 13, 2026

Prince Valiant by Hal Foster

In the wayback, I got into the colorful Prince Val sundays, so take a gander again, but this daily got neglected, and I dig it so much

 

4 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful sequence, but I know of no Valiant dailies. I wish I could read it clearer, but I notice that the second and third panels are autographed to different people, and the third is clearly to Caz, the ERB fan publisher. The three panels are in pieces, and I have seen Prince Valiant originals that were cut apart and sold as separate units, which I never liked. I don't know your source, but it looks like more continuity between panels than was common, so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. Where, pray tell, did you find this? If there's a collection of Val dailies, I'd sure like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooops! It's on Heritage, and clearly detailed as a tier of a Sunday strip, which was the only way Prince Val came out! In my haste to put it up (luvit), I neglected to read the details, and in my Cap'n brain, thought short and black"n white meant daily

      Delete
  2. Damn, I'd rather you were right. His panels work well as separate pieces of art. I have a set of the old Hastings House books that use them as illustrations to surround the text adaptations, and it's almost as if that's what they were meant for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me think of a great quote, which I will now butcher: "Some look at what is and ask why, while some look at what might've been and ask why not." Yeah, Hal was definitely onea the genius gifted who made every panel a great work of art

      Delete