Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Silver Surfer by Jim Steranko and Jack Kirby



 This is instantly onea my favorite posts, Dunnae if I've ever yakked about it, but I saw Breathless with a young Richard Gere when it was in the theaters (1983), and I so dug how Gere's character was obsessively passionate about The Silver Surfer comic.  Me, too.  Onea the constants in my life-long ever-shifting collection has been SS #s1-6 and 18, as well as those FFs that featured the silver one.  Course, with me, it's more about the art, but,whattheheck, it's nice to have a link with a matinee idol.  If you search the surfer on here, you'll see my obsessive passion.  I know it's a geeky thing to do, but I;ve often counted down my fav comic-book characters,  and the surfer is a solid #2, right behind Conan, and ahead of Nick Fury, Cap'n A, Orion, The Swamp Thing, Thor, Dynamo, blahblahblah

5 comments:

  1. I trust you won't mind me pointing out that 'dunnae' doesn't mean 'don't know', but rather 'do not', as 'nae' means 'no', not 'know'. Your pseudo-accent doesn't ring true and is quite jarring. Any chance of just using English? ('Dunnae know' or 'dunnae ken' is more accurate if you want to keep the 'accent'.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally! I've been wait'n almost fourteen years for someone to bust my chops over this verbal jape. As I recall, it started as a homage to my Smokey Mountains background ("dunno") and my Celtic way-background. Now, I guess it's time to move on to my next mischeiviousness (hope it dunnae take another fourteen years to be called out). Really dug your August post about UK Conan covers, by the by

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it. Wisnae (look, I'm doing it now) sure you had 'cos you never commented.

      Delete
  2. With those Surfer issues, it's usually best to just look at the pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True dat! When I want some "heavy-thinking" reading, I like to swim around in Sartre's Being And Nothingness ("If you are lonely when you're alone, then you are in bad company")

      Delete