Sunday, August 7, 2022

On The Road with Jim Steranko



Soooo, I just got back from a 3 week road trip that was oddly (for me) devoid of any contact with comics, comic art, paperback covers, any of that.  But one afternoon, I was free for an afternoon in little Podunk, USA, and asked a distant relative who had grown up in Podunk if he knew of any used book stores.  He told me about a place that was only a mile away from my airBNB, so I walked to it.  It was the strangest bookstore I'd ever seen, with stacks and piles of books strewn all around the store IN NO ORDER.  I asked the owner if he had any fantasy/sf books, and he pointed up to a rafter and said yes, but I'd need to use his extension ladder.  That was a bust, but later I was just climbing around stacks of random magazines, and the 2017 edition of Overstreet fell on the floor at my feet, and there lay this beautiful cover.  It ended up being the one piece of my kind of art I found in the store, and the only thing I saw on my whole trip.  I've also put up a Talon that I posted in the wayback as it appeared in Witzend  or Fantastic Fanzine (the used book store owner's not the only disorganized cat in this tale), and finally the same Talon piece as I've just seen in it's original form
 

4 comments:

  1. There was a time when it was a good sign if you found a used bookstore the was disorganized. I used to spend all of my lawn-mowing money at second-hand stores, and I have vivid memories of, for instance, seeing the spine of the first Lancer Conan and pulling it off the shelf to be hit in the face with my first sight of the Frazetta cover.
    I don't know how much of a pulp fan you are, but I recommend the Yesterday's Faces book series by Robert Sampson, about the very beginnings of pulp publishing. Sampson was a prominent pulp fan writer and was also responsible for text pieces in the Marvel Doc Savage magazine. He's a really entertaining writer, especially about what he loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YF sounds great, and I'll have to check it out. Yeah, you're spot on about disorganized bookstores, it has sometimes been the home of rare treasures for me. I once found the fanzine Witzend #5 amongst a stack of old Life magazines

      Delete
  2. Thanks for returning safely, Cap'n! You were missed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Che nice of you to say. I sure missed being home (and on here)

      Delete